Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Jackson's surgery

Well we made it through surgery! We arrived at the surgery center at 6:30am Tuesday morning and he went in at 7:30am. They did an exam on him and he weighed almost 12 pounds already! We had to take all of his clothes off and put him in a surgical gown with booties. The anesthesiologist came in and explained that he would be getting a caudal which is a general anesthetic low in the back. It would last for a while so he shouldn't feel any pain afterwards. I tried to hold it together but when they said "Ok, give your hugs and kisses" and they took him from me I lost it. We went to eat breakfast, which I couldn't even eat and then went to sit in the waiting room. The procedure lasted just under an hour. Dr. Rogers called us in the waiting room to tell us that everything went well and that he was stable. We then were taken to the recovery room were his nurse was holding him. Of course he was still passed out and the nurses were all over him. One of the nurses said "Can I hold him just a little longer?" and I said if you want to fight me for him! :-) We were in recovery for about an hour and I got to nurse him which was great because he was starving!!! The last time he got to eat was 2:30 that morning and then Pedialyte at 4:30am which he hated! We were then moved to his room where we were told we would be getting a roomate. He was doing great, not even skipping a feeding and staying right on his schedule. They did give him some Tylenol since he was a little fussy. By the time his last feeding came around at about 6:30pm we got a roomate. The hospital had this stupid policy about only one parent being able to stay the night in the room. the other parent had to sleep in a seperate room down the hall on a cot. Needless to say Scott wasn't going anywhere! There was only one recliner that pulled out into a bed and then there was the floor. We took turns sleeping on the floor. The night went well. Jackson only got up once to feed at about 3:30am. It didn't even mess with his night routine! I was so proud of him. So now we are home safe and sound. He was a little upset this morning so I gave him some more Tylenol. We are so thankful to have that behind us! Thanks to everyone who called to check on him! Thanks for all your prayers!

Love,
Steph

0 comments: